The Association of Senior Anthropologists offers senior and retired anthropologists a continuing presence and voice in the discipline, allowing them to put their accumulated knowledge and insights to significant use.
The section has two main purposes:
(1) to serve as a forum for lively intellectual interactions and scholarly productivity, especially but not limited to presentations and publications by senior anthropologists as representatives of the living history of the discipline;
(2) to provide support needed by this cohort, including assistance with accessibility related to aging and in remaining professionally engaged when institutional support is reduced or absent.
Following the small 2021 annual meeting in Baltimore, the first in-person after Covid, ASA was present in full force at the 2022 meeting in Seattle. The theme was Unsettling Landscapes. New officers installed on the executive board were Maria Cattell as President, Laura Zimmer-Tamakoshi as Secretary, and Helena Wulff as At Large Member #2. Tim Wallace transitioned from President to Past President. Jim Weil completed his term as Past President and Sue Kenyon completed her term as Secretary. A photo essay showing ASA activities and a list of events will be posted on the Meetings page soon.
Links to the 2022 Anthropology News columns can be found on the AN Column page and to the Thursday Chats can be found on the Archives page.
2023 So Far
- The list of Thursday Chats through the spring of this year can be found on the News page
- The portal for submitting proposals for the 2023 AAA meeting in Toronto will be open soon. Be on the lookout for a call for proposals soon on the ASA Community platform and listserv. If you have any ideas or questions contact Program Chair (and President Elect) Jay Schensul [add hyperlink].
- Nominations for the spring election are due soon for the offices of Treasurer, Student Representative, and At Large Member #1. If you are interested in being a candidate or would like to nominate someone, please contact President Maria Cattell [add hyperlink].